Tuesday, January 12

Happiness is...

Where I live spring has already come upon us. The sun shines everyday and warms the earth. There is a cool breeze that whispers in your ear of beautiful fairytales. Spring is here for me, in the middle of January. I want to pack a lunch in a basket and wear a light pretty sundress and go on a picnic with my love. I want to plant flowers, and I want to pick flowers. I want to make crown after crown of daisies. The sun is shining and beckoning, “come out and play!” it says. I look out my window and dream, but I don’t do any of these things that I want to do. Why am I compelled to stay inside and watch the world go by? Why do I hide away and dream instead? Wouldn’t I be happier if I did the things I dream of? Yet I continue to dream and hide, and watch the world as it passes by my window. I tell myself that I can’t do those things simply because I don’t believe. I don’t believe in happiness, or that it can be mine in the way that I dream. I believe that the sun is a mask for a dark foreboding sky. I don’t trust the joy that it offers and I tell myself that it is all a lie. Why?


I have analyzed myself over and over again. I blame my dad, for whom I was never good enough. I blame him because he told me lies over and over again. He abandoned me, and his family and I can never trust him again. I blame him for this disbelief. I don’t think that this is all though. I’m sure it is part of my problem (yes, I have daddy issues), but it can’t be all. I also blame the bastard who stole my innocence on that fateful autumn day. I lived dreams and fairytales before, and afterwards reality came crashing down. I will never forgive that stranger and I will never forgive my dad for taking my faith away. I find myself to be a contradiction. I carry around a childlike innocence, I choose to dwell and dream of fairytales. Yet I know reality. I know that these don’t exist and I feed the hope that they do. I have a bright side, and a dark side, always fighting each other.

I say that I live inside always looking out, and I say this literally and figuratively. As I write this I know I have built a wall inside and it keeps out everything that can possible hurt me. It protects me as it kills me, slowly. There are many layers to this wall, and a single window in which I can look out at the world and wish for what I see while knowing, believing, that if I take a step outside it will all suddenly change and the world I wish for will tear me apart. So I continue to stay safely inside and I wait, I wait for the world to prove me right. I also wait for someone to prove me wrong.



Reminiscing memories
Illusions of my mind

Cinderella's story
I search too far to find

Hints of music left unseen
This magic toy I wind

Echoes of a picture past
These disillusions I unbind*

*written by Sarah Odle, used with permission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting past experiences like yours is and will be a long, hard journey. But the fact that you're asking yourself these questions and searching for answers tells me that you're already well on your way to recovery. The scars will never be fully healed, but one day you'll realize that the strength you gained from that part of your life made you who you are. The negative will fade away with that realization, and the positive will reign supreme. That battle between the bright side and dark side will one day end, and you will finally step out into the sunlight.

At least, that's what happened to me. I hope with all my heart that you will one day feel the same relief, and until then, you never stop believing in all that's good in this world.

Love and hugs,
Maggie

Alice said...

Thank you Maggie for the insight and encouragement. I so desire to take that step of faith into the light and it is good to hear your positivity in regards to this. I am getting there, with the help of my husband, God and friends I will.

Hugs back!
Alice