Saturday, July 17

Bondmate

JZ and Turiya came up with the word Bondmate to describe a submissive who is in a 24/7 total power exchange (TPE) relationship with his or her spouse or life partner.  I've adopted this word to use in relation to myself.  Brandon and I are in a 24/7 TPE relationship, but I've never felt comfortable calling myself a slave.  The term "bondmate" is derived from "bondservant" which is a certain kind of slave.  The greek word is Doulos.  According to what little information I could find there are two different definitions of this word.  One comes from a biblical standpoint (I couldn't find this information from any other source that wasn't biblical).  In this definition a bondservant is a slave that has been set free by his/her master, but has such great love for his/her master that he/she offers up the rest of his life in service (slavery) to this master.  This type of slave was marked with an awl through the ear.  This kind of slavery was only associated with a great love from the slave for his/her master (not sexual in nature) that caused the slave to wish to serve his/her master for life.  This kind of slave could never be free again, but also could not be sold or traded.  He was linked forever to the master he/she chose to serve in this manner.

The other definition I found was a slave who had certain rights.  Such as the right to own property, make money, and the right to be treated fairly.  This kind of slave was protected by certain laws so that the freedom this slave was afforded was not infringed upon.  A slave like this could even report to authorities an abusive master.  He or she also dressed in the same manner as a free man and so it was illegal to strike such a slave in case you accidentally hit another free man instead.

I think both definitions are accurate and simply represent a different viewpoint and a different time for each.  Looking at both definitions I feel that I can accurately call myself a bondservant of Brandon, and I LOVE the term bondmate because it brings the aspect of lifetime service into the word itself.

Some points that I think are important are:

1. the act of volunteerily giving ones self up into a lifetime of servitude
2. the fact that it is linked with adoration or love for ones master
3. the freedom that this kind of slave had to own property and work his/her own business while also being aware that a portion was always due to the slaves master
4. the fact that such a slave was protected by law from abuse
5. and that it was considered against the law to treat such a slave any worse than you would treat a free man, you couldn't strike a person you thought to be a slave because there was no identifying factor to distinguish a slave from a free man

How this translates into TTWD for me:

1. I committed myself to Brandon for a lifetime of servitude of my own free will.  My submission was mine to give, and I chose to give it to him out of the love that I have for him.
2.  Love is a major part of TTWD.  It keeps things intimate, and balanced.  It brings in humanity and ensures that the gift of my submission is not valued less than a precious, priceless gift, and that the dominance and leadership that Brandon offers is not taken for granted or disrespected.
3. If I were to ever work again I think that Brandon would agree that a portion of what I earn is mine to spend as I wish, and a portion is ours/his to be used any way he deems necessary or appropriate.  As far as property goes, there are few things that I would claim as my own.  My laptop is mine, it was bought for me, given to me by Brandon, therefore it belongs to me.  I would say the same of most gifts that were bought specifically for me (gifts that are not things Brandon would ever use or care to claim as his own).  Most things though I would say belong to Brandon.
4.  It is extremely important to remember that though I am bound to Brandon, by law I am still protected from abuse.  Brandon never has or would abuse me, but if he were I am protected by law and I have the right to do something about it.  This goes for all consensual slaves.  You are protected by the laws of your country.  If your master is abusing you please exercise your right as a human being to go to the authorities or to someone you trust for help.  Remember that your submission is a gift that you gave and you can take away especially if the relationship is causing you or your children harm.
5. And last but not least is the right to be recognized as a fellow human being.  Inhumane treatment is illegal.  What does your state/country define as inhumane?  Also, I believe that the second part of this point goes to the idea that a master is not every slaves master.  Meaning that just because a sub/slave is in the presence of a master doesn't mean that the master has any right to exercise authority over that sub/slave that is not his own.  Unless, of course, the master of that sub/slave has given the other master his permission to do so.  Brandon is my "master", no one else.  I do not take orders from anyone else, and do not submit my entire being to anyone else.  I will respect others authority, such as a policeman, or judge, or other state or federal official, but they do not get my complete submission.  And just because some guy knows that I am a "sub" and decides that I must give him my submission because he is a master doesn't mean that I will (in fact I'd probably throw it back in his face, I can be ruthless) and doesn't mean he has the right to even expect more than the respect that I would show a fellow human being.

Feel free to comment with additional historical information you might have or of course any thoughts that you might wish to express.  Remember, this is me and how this information relates to me and Brandon and it may not be how everyone else interprets the info or chooses to live.  The only point that I would say transcends the individuality of each persons relationship in TTWD or life even is the right of a slave or person to be treated humanely and the right to leave a relationship that is abusive.  That right cannot be taken away by any man.

3 comments:

turiya said...

I love this! Surprisingly as much research as I've done on slavery, I've never really done any on bondservants. I only knew that it was another term for a slave. Very cool info, though! Now I'm going to have to look into it a bit more for myself.

Awesome post!

*hugs*

turiya

Anonymous said...

"And just because some guy knows that I am a "sub" and decides that I must give him my submission because he is a master doesn't mean that I will (in fact I'd probably throw it back in his face, I can be ruthless)"

I, personally, am glad that your ruthless with that kind of individual, as in my opinion, any true dominant worth his salt, knows that the only reason he is able to lead any submissive, is that he has first mastered himself. Anything less then that, and the supposed dominant is just playing at the role, and doing all the taking, and not giving anything in return.

All in all, this is a great post, and I'm glad that the three of you (meaning you, turiya and jz) have taken such a liking to this idea.

Ashaman

Alice said...

Ashaman! I'm so pleased that you liked my post! Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

When women get inspired there is no half way about it. I'm glad that jz and turiya came up with the term and that I was around to pick up on it too.