Wednesday, July 7

On "Slave"

In my last post I wrote that I didn't identify as a slave, and went on to define it as such:

Slave- a person who does not think of themselves but only exists to serve another.  Their only function is to serve and please their master.

I know many people identify as slave and yet would not say the above about themselves.  So I'm writing this post to 1) gather my own thoughts on the word, and 2) find the difference that I perceived between being a submissive and being a slave.

First for the dictionary definitions:

slave (slāv)

n.
1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household.
2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence: "I was still the slave of education and prejudice" (Edward Gibbon).

Now, of course, since the title of submissive is not a form of that word recognized by the dictionary I looked up the word submit and will use that definition to define submissive.

Submissive
n.
1. One who gives over or yeilds to the power or authority of another.

In the definition of slave we have another word that I wanted to define: subservient.

subservient  
adj.
1. serving or acting in a subordinate capacity; subordinate.
2. servile; excessively submissive; obsequious: subservient persons; subservient conduct.

And one more definition. (I promise this is the last one, but I want to put all these definitions up here because it helps get to the bottom of why I don't use and don't like the word slave when describing myself.)

subordinate 
–adjective
1. placed in or belonging to a lower order or rank.
2. of less importance; secondary.
3. subject to or under the authority of a superior.
4. subservient or inferior.

So after all of this what I've come to understand as the definition for slave is that a slave is someone who has become another's property and is inferior than that person who's property they have become.  Now, I know that in this world of BDSM (and I'm using that word to cover all different forms that are indicated therein) the title of slave is defined in so many different ways and that some who identify as slave would not use the above definition.  But this is why I don't use this word.  Saying that I submit or that I am a submissive seems so much more clear to me.  If one were to look up the word submit and apply it to a human being there is only one way to define it.

So the reason I don't use the word slave when speaking of myself is because I don't want anyone to think that I see myself as inferior to Brandon, or that he sees me as his property.  For sure I belong to him and my body is his, but he would never say that I am his property and I would never agree to become that to him.

I do think that yesterday was that point where I realized that I was slowly becoming his slave (in the above sense of the word) and I realized that I did not want that.  Brandon was not necessarily seeing me as his slave, but we both were forgetting that although I submit to his authority and his command, I am still his wife.

Sir J of A Dominant Character blog did a wonderful job of explaining how two partners, the dominant and the submissive, are still two equals in the relationship in his post A Relationship of Equals.

(In some ways I feel like I'm repeating myself and should just stop typing at this point, but I also feel like I'm not being as clear as I want to be.)  So, just one last time, a slave is someone who is not equal to his/her master, a submissive is someone who is equal (in value) to his/her dominant.

Perhaps this is why people get so tripped up over the title of slave.  While it means one thing, I can look at the relationship of two people who identify as Master and slave and see that they are still indeed equals and thus the definition of slave doesn't apply.  It is all very confusing (another reason why I don't use the title of slave) and I had to come to my own conclusion regarding using the word.

One last thing, I think that part of the reason some choose to redefine the title of slave is because the title of submissive does not necessarily show the level at which they submit.  I think everyone can agree that when thinking of a slave you see someone who is wholly and completely, in every way, submissive to another, where as just saying that I submit to someone may not mean that I submit EVERYTHING to that person.  So, to be clear...

I wholly submit everything to Brandon and as a submissive my goal is to serve and please him in everything I do (not just in the bedroom, or just in my actions, or etc etc).

I hope this made sense and I hope anyone who reads this and identifies as a slave is not offended and recognizes that I realize you may have a different definition of the word, or even that if you don't I am not judging you, it is simply not a level to which I am willing to go.

PS I have not yet figured out how to link to something whithout just putting the address so to find Sir J's post which I talked about just find his blog (A Dominant Character) under the list of blogs that I read and go back a few posts to find the one I mentioned, posted on June 21st 2010 (A Relationship of Equals).

5 comments:

turiya said...

Ok first... to link something... all you have to do is highlight the word or words you want to make the link with... then in the little toolbar at the top of the editor, just click the word "link". It will bring up a popup where you can either make it a web link or email link. Just copy and paste the URL or email address (depending on which you need to add) and then click ok. I hope that helps.

Okay... now onto the slave issue. A lot of people have the same feelings on what a slave is... and you're not wrong. There are slaves both past and present who are exactly what you describe. But I've been doing a lot of research and have learned that especially in the past where slaves truly had no choice in their bondage, there were some who were not treated like chattel or less than human.

The biggest thing I've learned about the institution of slavery is that there is nothing black and white about it. It's probably got more gray areas than my grandfather (and believe me... he's pretty hairy). Okay that was bad... but my point is, I don't think there is any write or wrong definition to what a slave is. It's different things to different people.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you that you are a slave or should identify as one. You should identify in whatever way makes you comfortable.

One thing that is true of all slaves, though, as you said... they are property. I am Asha's property, but I find comfort in that where many others probably wouldn't. The best thing though? He considers me his priceless treasure. I have to admit it feels nice feeling that at least in one man's eyes, I'm worth more than all the riches in the world. :-D

*hugs*

turiya

Anonymous said...

Interesting enough since you reference my blog I should mention that both I and my girl identify her as a slave.

I am curious where the notion the owning something means it is inferior to you comes from? I own a car but I would never describe as inferior to me, I am not even sure such a comparison would make sense.

Ownership is about belonging and it is a expression of such. I own her and she in turn is owned by me and we both have expectations around what that means and how we will act. I own my car and I expect it to get me places, if it had feelings it would expect me to take care of it and if I did not it would break down and stop taking me places. Ownership always comes with responsibilities. I think sometimes in our community we over think this idea, marriage is a form of such, husband and wife bound together.

As for the Dom who refers to his slave as a thing and then says he can treat his things any disrespectful way he chooses. Well that tells you a little about his character. Who does those things to a couch? why would you want to? Ownership may mean you can but character and common sense often dictate you would not.

note to turiya - you are wise woman.

Alice said...

Sir J, I didn't mean to say that one shouldn't use the title of slave if one chooses to.

"While it means one thing, I can look at the relationship of two people who identify as Master and slave and see that they are still indeed equals and thus the definition of slave doesn't apply."

In saying this I meant that perhaps the dictionary definition doesn't quite relate to all who identify as a slave. The dictionary definition does imply that a slave is indeed inferior. I'm still learning alot and this is where I put down my thoughts as I learn. I think what I was trying to get across in the next post was that I have come to realize that simply because one thing is owned doesn't mean it is treated badly or less than the owner. I do like how you talk about being equal in that post and I hope I haven't offended you in any way. I suppose that the term slave scares me because I am afraid that my humanity will be lost in such a term and that I will become an object. This is not to say that everyone who calls themself a slave has themselves become nothing more than an object, it is just my personal fear. Turiya is indeed a wise woman, and someone from whom I am learning a great deal.

Alice said...

"Ownership is about belonging and it is a expression of such. I own her and she in turn is owned by me and we both have expectations around what that means and how we will act. I own my car and I expect it to get me places, if it had feelings it would expect me to take care of it and if I did not it would break down and stop taking me places. Ownership always comes with responsibilities."

See, Sir J, this is what I believe too, and you say it perfectly.

turiya said...

Oh trust me... being seen as an object and becoming a doormat has been a great fear of mine too. Identifying as a slave really does have an incredible psychological effect on a person... much different from identifying as a submissive. I think this is why some who identify as slaves have a tendency to seem arrogant when defining the differences between the two, even if they don't intend to suggest that slaves are somehow better or more submissive. It's really not that at all, but there is a difference. I suppose it's just one of those things you can't really explain... you can only experience it.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the level of submission because there are some who identify as subs and not slaves that have a deeper level of submission than I do. I honestly believe now that it has more to do with the psychological effects of thinking of yourself as a slave and as property. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.

But yes, I can understand your fear because I can guarantee that every person who identifies as a slave has felt it. The thing is... there just seems to be something within our makeup... the way we're wired, we just know in our hearts that we're slaves and that we could not be as happy and content trying to pretend we're something else (I've tried... lol).

But you can go to any level of submission that you feel drawn to with Brandon and still call yourself a sub. You can have a full on TPE relationship with all the protocol you can think of and that still doesn't mean you're a slave. I've been learning the level of submission has nothing to do with it at all, so don't worry about falling into a "slave" role just because you're feeling driven to be more submissive. They really are two separate things... I wish I could explain it better.

Thank you J, Sir, for the compliment. It made me blush. And thanks Alice, I'm glad I've been helping. :-D

*hugs*

turiya