Monday, July 19

I didn't think this through...

Okay, isn't the phrase "I'm disappointed in you" much much worse than any kind of punishment???

It is for me and last night I was on the receiving end of those words.  Yesterday I had chores to do, not many and not difficult ones, but I didn't do them.  Brandon has told me that the punishment for not doing chores is taking my laptop with him to work during the day so that I have no distractions and no reason not to do my chores.  He also stipulated (for my sake I think) that I would have a "3 strikes your out" rule.  This means that if I don't do them one day, he gives me another chance, and then another before actually punishing me.  Yesterday I was in a rebellious headspace.  I simply didn't want to do what he said and knew that if I didn't I'd still get 2 more chances, so I didn't.  This is why I got the sad/stern look and the words, "I'm disappointed in you."  I also got more chores added on...

I don't think I thought this through clearly.

So today I have to clean the bedroom and kitchen, vacuum the living room, scrub the toilet, and finishing putting away the laundry.  Written down this doesn't seem like much, but I'm still so tired and the prospect of doing all this cleaning has me wishing I'd just done it yesterday despite my attitude.  I must remember this in the future.

In other news:

Baby boy went to bed last night at 11pm, and didn't wake up at his usual 5:30/6am time for food.  He slept until 8:30am!  Needless to say that when I woke up I freaked out and ran to his crib to make sure he was alive.  (God I'm dramatic) Well, of course he was fine, and just waking up.  I'm impressed that he slept that long, and would love for him to do that every night, but I'm sure it was some random fluke.  Now, at 9:50am he is falling back asleep!  I think I shall go take a shower while he sleeps and try to get some chores done too (since I have a double load today).

5 comments:

B'Man said...

OMG! A three strike rule?! Aren't you lucky?!

Hopefully the words, "I'm disappointed in you" will prevent you from too easily trampling upon such generous grace.

Alice said...

Lol, yes very lucky. Although last night, after he found out my reasoning, he stated that perhaps he should be more strict so we'll see if the 3 strike rule stays around much longer.

I believe the 3 strike rule was put in effect because Brandon wanted there to be some flexibility for me in case there was a day when I just really couldn't do it all. So far, that day hasn't come.

Seriously, after you put it like that, "easily trampling upon such generous grace", I feel even worse! You are right, BabyMan. I think I owe an even bigger apology to Brandon now than the one I gave last night.

turiya said...

Asha used to be lenient like that with me... now I have a 5 stroke rule. Every time I forget something or whatever, I get 5 strokes of the cane. LOL

Of course, if there is a day I'm really not feeling well, he'll let most things slide like heavy chores and stuff, but I'm still expected to keep the house tidy and dishes done... and to do all the other little tidbits I'm required to do.

Oh and don't feel bad about panicking about your son sleeping in. The first time Tornado slept in like that I did the same thing. I was nearly in tears by the time I reached her crib thinking something had happened to her. I think it's a normal reaction for any first time mom... especially when those protective hormones are still quite strong in the first couple of years (yes, there are actually hormones that cause this erratic overprotective behavior).

*hugs*

turiya

Alice said...

Well, apparently Brandon did decide he was being too lenient because I didn't vacuum today like I was supposed to (not out of rebelliousness) and because he had asked me two days in a row and it still wasn't done he decided I needed the belt to teach me a lesson. He might take my laptop with him tomorrow too, he hasn't decided yet. I hope not.

I think when he was spanking me with the belt, it wasn't the belt so much as his words that hurt. Normally he asks "are you ready?" and he did today too, but immediately after he also said "well, I don't care if you are or not" and then just started in. It wasn't the fact that he started even though I said I wasn't ready (he does that anyway everytime) but what he said that got to me. He's never said that before and all of a sudden I was hit with how frustrated he was with me and it hurt.

Tomorrow the vacuuming will be done for sure.

turiya said...

*hugs* I know the feeling. I was punished pretty harshly today over something, so I'm in pretty much the same boat. Sometimes it's hard to judge how our behavior will effect them, though. Sometimes it takes a punishment like this to wake us up to it.

*hugs*

turiya