Friday, July 9

Slavery: slave=property

(Authors disclaimer: In this post I refer to slaves in the feminine sense, and Masters in the Masculine sense. I realize that a slave can be a male, and that a Master can be female (Mistress). Also I refer to a specific blog and writer but do not name either one because I feel that since I am presenting both in a negative way I should have permission to name both the blog and the writer publicly. If you wish to know what blog I am referring to please ask and I will privately e-mail you. I argued with myself for a long time about whether I should use the names or not because in my opinion this blog and writer should be taken with a grain of salt, therefore I am willing to provide the name of the blog in a private setting, but choose not to publicly denounce or humiliate him.)



I find that, after a very interesting conversation with Turiya, and a few other blogs that I have read on the matter of slavery, I wish to continue with the topic. Currently I am exploring the idea of a slave being property. Originally I equated the idea of being property with being something of little value, like a chair, or a table, etc. These things generally have little value because they are easily replaced. They serve a limited purpose and when they no longer serve that purpose they can be thrown away without a care and replaced with a new item. So this was my original view of what it meant to be property and the thought and idea was very negative to me. There was a point very early on, when I knew and understood little about the M/s lifestyle, that I thought I did want to be considered property. It is very different to think you want something than to actually live it out. I want to be valued as a fellow human being with certain undeniable rights. Such as the right to voice my opinion or concerns, and the right to speak up when something is too much for me to handle on my own. And the right to have limits.

During a very thought provoking chat with Turiya she mentioned that although she does consider herself property, she is Asha's most prized and valued property, more valuable than all the riches in the world to him. Priceless. I hadn't previously considered this. Being such valued property is much more positive and appealing than my original interpretation. I would agree to be property in this manner.

I think that many people's first impressions in regards to slavery line up with my original belief that "property" has little value. Indeed there are people who do believe this and incorporate it into their M/s dynamic. The position of slave may be seen as one in which the slave is indeed inferior and can be used or tossed aside as the master wishes. I have a very hard time seeing this as a way that any healthy person would want to live. To be at the complete whim of your master, without any say at all, how can anyone wish for that? What if your master decides to take on a second slave, or even a third, and suddenly you are not the sole recipient of his attention? Or what if he decides that he no longer wants you as his slave and he dismisses you from service? Or what if he allows others to "borrow" you? Viewed as such a slave, with no worth, you would have no say about any of it. You would simply have to submit and obey in whatever way required. Most are not able to do this. I would never be able to do this. To me this is the very definition of "doormat". A dynamic built on this objectification of the slave can easily lead to abuse because the slave "has absolutely no rights and no say in what is done with her or what is done to her".

I read on another blog, where the writer did believe that to be a true slave the slave is inferior and akin to an object, that to be a slave is to be property such as a couch. He said that with a couch you can do anything you like. You can piss on it, stain it, sleep naked on it, etc. And therefore the same with a slave. This really pushed my buttons. If you treat a couch in such a manner it will quickly cease to serve its purpose. It will be ruined and you will be forced to throw it out and get a new one. The same if you treat your slave this way, she will soon be unable to serve you to her full potential. However if you treat a slave with honor, respect, and as cherished property (much like you might treat a valued piece of jewelry) your slave will be able to continue to serve you to the best of her ability.

"If a Master wants to cherish his slave it doesn't make him less of a Master. Just because he chooses not to treat her like (dirt) all the time [doesn't mean He's not a proper Master]." - Turiya

5 comments:

turiya said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who like to look at a slave as expendable property. I think this is really sad and it is as you said. A slaves ability to perform her duties and serve her Master is quite dependent on how she is cared for and kept up. You abuse her and she will eventually be useless. Treat her well and she will be able to serve you well for years to come.

I think if someone treats their property the way the man in that blog described, then they more than likely have very little self-respect because a person who has self-respect takes care of their property... whether it's inanimate or a living being. And if he's saying he has the ability to do these things even though he wouldn't consider it... well why even bring it up?

The way I look at it... if you would never do something because of how you feel about your property, what's the point of mentioning it in the first place? To intimidate? To brag? It's a bit immature in my opinion.

Sure Asha teases me about trading me in for a newer model sometimes, but that's the thing. I know he's teasing. He doesn't go around the internet bragging how he has the ability to sell me to the highest bidder when he gets bored with me, even though he'd never do it.

Oh well... I'm getting down off my soapbox now. Hehe...

*hugs*

turiya

Alice said...

"The way I look at it... if you would never do something because of how you feel about your property, what's the point of mentioning it in the first place? To intimidate? To brag? It's a bit immature in my opinion."

You are right, if there is no intention in doing it why mention it? Totally immature. However, I do think that this guy really thinks that if he suddenly had the whim to treat his slave in such a manner he has every right to do so. I (obviously) disagree, although a slave (property), she still is a human being and has a right as a human being to be treated humanely. Even animals are give the common courtesy of humane treatment and to do otherwise is animal abuse and is ILLEGAL!

There is abuse in this lifestyle and I think that slaves/subs that are in a TPE relationship are those that are at the greatest risk. Because they essentially don't have the right to say no, and their intense desire is to please their Master/Dom then they are more likely to overlook or not even see the abuse that could be taking place. I'm NOT saying this happens in every or even most TPE relationships, but it does happen in some just as it happens in the vanilla world relationships.

turiya said...

I absolutely agree!

*hugs*

turiya

Anonymous said...

Abuse is abuse and we all do or should know that. You have likely already surmised that you waded into a very touch topic in this little part of the world, not slaves however, but the use of certain words and trying to ascribe meaning to them.

It is an endless debate. Important the you have it and that you come to an idea of what you think they mean and how you feel about them, just don't expect to get a lot of agreement.

I think you are approaching it in an intelligent and sustainable way and that is great. And no you did not in any way insult me and yes I am enjoying your blog.

Alice said...

Sir J, I imagine it is an endless debate and one which, although I hate being at odds with anyone, I do need to come to my own conclusions. The one thing I am trying to say clearly though is that I agree it is different to everyone and that just because I think it to be one way, doesn't mean it is for someone else.

Being a religious person I liken it to those endless debates on which not everyone will always agree. However, we can agree to disagree and live harmoniously together.